Logo

1999 Mercury 50 4 Stroke 0G876....

trynhooker

Regular Contributor
Forgot exact Ser# but easy to find in that group.

Problem: engine starts a sec then dies.
1. Found water in fuel. Drained everything, ran on my tank, same problem.
2. When I was about to come in, I pulled dipstick, and oil just gushed right out. After sitting a min, the oil goes back down. You can crank engine with dipstick out and watch the oil start filling tube...kill switch pulled of course.
3. Oil is not full of water nor smell of gas, so ruled out FP Diaphragm, which I inspected.

When engine starts then immediately dies, it blows a puff of smoke out the intake.

I'm thinking maybe a stuck valve is creating pressure in the CC causing oil level to blow out of tube? And of course engine not starting. I got it to run about 3 sec at most then dies.

I don't work on many 4 strokes cos I can't get all the Diagnostic equipment etc., plus all the 2 strokes no one else here works on them except me lol.

Compression test results from 10 min ago.
All 4 bounced around from 90 to 70, then finally they all read 70.
After spraying some break free in, letting it sit a few, then all read 90. After all that blew out they were again finishing at 70.

Again, when it kicks over a few sec, then dies, it blows a puff of smoke out of intake and CC has pressure in it to blow oil out of dip stick tube.

Spoke with customer a min ago to report my test results, and he says this during the conversation.

"I can run motor with the top 2 carb drain screws out and it will run about 10 sec at full throttle until it dies with all the gas draining out?

But yet with them in, the engine runs about 2 sec then dies. I'm thinking what??,"';;"'gg%&*<=

Back