Logo

1999 Honda 90Hp Outboard Starter Issues

Whaler 34

My 1999 Honda 90HP 4 stroke outboard is having the following problem:

When I turn the key to start the outboard, I will hear a click. But if I turn it off and on several times, eventually the starter will act as normal and start the outboard. I took it to a marine repair shop and they tested and said the starter was going bad so they replaced it with a generic starter. For several weeks the starter worked fine but then it started doing the same thing as the old starter.

The repair shop said voltage was going to the new replacement starter just fine so they replaced that starter with another new starter. Once again, all seemed fine for a few more weeks but the same problem returned- it started clicking just like the others. So, I went back to the repair shop where they double checked all voltage and connections. All checked out fine. I then asked if it would be possible that this outboard might require a genuine Honda starter instead of the generic ones. With that thought, they ordered a new starter from a Honda Marine dealer. That was 5 months ago and we are still waiting for the Honda starter.

But after thinking about this problem for some time, I wonder if it's not the starter at all but something else? I would appreciate any suggestions or ideas on how to proceed. Thanks!

Hi Whaler,
I don't think it's your starter at all.
Outboards, as do all marine power applications, suffer from poor electrical contact due to corrosion and vibrations.
For a problem like this, I would start by doing voltage drop testing to identify any excessive voltage loss in the circuit.

Please Google "voltage drop test" and a very short pdf file from ALLDATA should appear at the top. Open it and study the information. It is an EXCELLENT and easily understood method for MAGICALLY seeing inside wires and cables as well as evaluating connections. ALLDATA provides the values to look for in order to assess what is happening in your electrical circuit.

Removing and thoroughly cleaning, until SHINY, the main battery cable ends is a way to go too but actually much more tedious than volt drop testing.

There is another component to your start circuit that could fail besides the starter. And, it is actually the item that makes the clicking noise you describe. It is the starter magnetic switch. Item 6 in the link below.

I wonder why your shop hasn't mentioned it.

You could try tapping that gently when the engine won't crank to see if it makes a difference but, again, the volt drop test technique will reliably tell you if it's consuming too many volts.

Don't hesitate to ask questions if you need to. I and others here are happy to try and help.
But please read that pdf file (with nice color graphics) before proceeding.

One thing you need to grasp about volt drop testing is that you MUST be using the circuit when testing. Many people (me included) have trouble understanding that at first. If the circuit being tested isn't being used (activated), the test won't work.
Another thing is that it doesn't take an expensive multimeter to do this. A digital meter from Harbor Freight or Amazon can do the job.

Good luck.

Thank you jgmo for the reply to my question. What you are saying makes complete sense. I've been boating for more than 40 years and had my share of electrical gremlins wrecking havoc on my devices. Just when you think the problem lies in the device, it turns out to be an electrical short. I have passed your recommendations on to my marine shop and will talk with them later today. Once again, I appreciate your help!

Check the neatral switch operation too. A quick voltage test is to see if it cranks by jumping the +ve bat post on the starter to the solenoid terminal If it starts then the fault lies in the exciter circuit, if it doesn't, then fault is between bat and starter, meaning could be either ground or pos issue. A competent marine shop should not have to be told how to do these basic checks. I suggest maybe try someone else because it really isn't rocket science

Check the neatral switch operation too. A quick voltage test is to see if it cranks by jumping the +ve bat post on the starter to the solenoid terminal If it starts then the fault lies in the exciter circuit, if it doesn't, then fault is between bat and starter, meaning could be either ground or pos issue. A competent marine shop should not have to be told how to do these basic checks. I suggest maybe try someone else because it really isn't rocket science
Thanks for your help iang6766! He may have already preformed this test but I will check to make sure.

Back