Logo

1999 honda 130hp starts sputtering

Caddis

I have a 1999 Honda 130hp outboard motor that starts to sputter and then acts like it wants to die after 15-30 minutes of flawless use. I put in neutral then off i go until it happens again. Any ideas for what this could be? Thx

Hi,
I've never worked on the 130 but simply from an efi engine standpoint, my first guess would be to take a look at the Inlet Air Control (IAC) valve...item 25 in the link below

That valve has a great deal to do with engine idle and if it gets dirty or "sticky" it might cause this symptom.

There is a cleanable filter related to the IAC...item 23 in the link...that can clog and create issues with idle.

Additionally, you say you were adjusting the idle screw. That's not something you should try unless the IAC is working correctly and that filter screen is clean. Typically there is a specific procedure that needs to be followed when using that idle screw to set base idle or you could create other problems with how the throttle body functions.

Sorry, I don't have the shop manual for this model to provide you with the procedure.

Good luck.

Apologies...I mixed up your post with someone else's....

They were adjusting the idle screw, not you.

I do think my comments about the IAC valve and filter screen still apply though.

Good luck.

Actually, my comments aren't valid for your issue at all.

It's been a long week.

Sorry for MY confusion.

I would run it on a high dose of Seafoam at high rpm, say 3-4,000 minimum for 1/2 an hour at least and see if anything changes. That will clear out some gunk in the valve train and injectors, a good place to start. Use a separate small tank if you have a large inboard fuel tank.

It could also be clogged fuel filters, have they been changed recently?

Back