Logo

1999 Evinrude Ficht 150hp flywheel housing cracked and starter jams

My friend has a 1999 E150FPLEE that the flywheel housing is cracked where the starter engages into the flywheel and when you turn the ignition key the starter clunks and jams after it hits and pushes up the cracked spot in the cover. We were going to do some research before tearing it apart. is the flywheel cover bushing the only thing that holds in the pinion shaft assembly?? We pulled out all the bolts on the cover and looked at the pinion shaft assembly and it seemed to move loosely side to side. Is this how it is designed and the bushing holds it in place? Is the flywheel cover a known issue with this motor??

My friend has a 1999 E150FPLEE that the flywheel housing is cracked where the starter engages into the flywheel and when you turn the ignition key the starter clunks and jams after it hits and pushes up the cracked spot in the cover. We were going to do some research before tearing it apart. is the flywheel cover bushing the only thing that holds in the pinion shaft assembly?? We pulled out all the bolts on the cover and looked at the pinion shaft assembly and it seemed to move loosely side to side. Is this how it is designed and the bushing holds it in place? Is the flywheel cover a known issue with this motor??
There is another bushing in the block. Only a issue on hard to start,lots of starting motors.a good item to add to annual inspection

The replacement cover has to be off a Ficht as a carbed one wont fit as its offset .035 and pinion gear is different size. I think I got several if you want me to look in shed..

Back