Logo

1999 130hp throttle & shifter cable replacement

NSDON

Regular Contributor
My top mount shifter is shifting hard, difficult to gently add rpm on the throttle, one cable cover is cracked where it enters the outboard. I assume both cables are original 1999 and salt water use.

Any recommendations on replacement? Honda, Teleflex, or other?

Thanks for any assistance or guidance on doing the install.

Don

Don I think you'll find that there's not that much special going on here, and that just a little care will produce good results. Pay particular attention to refurbishing your control (now would be an awesome time to pull it down for a complete cleaning, inspection, and relube!).

Control cables are often marked for length.

Teleflex is good stuff - as long as it's set up for a Honda motor.

Local dealer had a Dometec Uflex in stock, ended up being 2 ft too long, was going to be a week to get correct 16 ft length. Got a Dometec Teleflex Txextreme yesterday, seems much better quality than the Uflex. The rods on the ends of the cables have 10/32 threads for the Honda and both throttle and shifter cables are the same. I have to feed them through a tunnel on my Boston Whaler, the Txtreme is also supposed to be more flexible for tight bends, which I have where the cable enters the tunnel below the console.

I thought Honda would sell Honda brand cables, but the dealer didn’t mention any.

Thanks,
Don

We had 173mm of rain yesterday, good test of all bilge pumps, more coming today. My boat is repaired but too wet to launch and test new cables.

Test drive was perfect, it works so smoothly, better than ever before, I have to be careful adding rpm, very very easy shifting and throttle.

Back