Logo

1998 volvo penta 5.0 gi - RPM reduction mode

SRD

Hey guys,

I have a 1998 larson with a volvo penta 5.0 gi that keeps cutting out at precisely 2500 - 2600 RPM. I'm pretty certain that the engine is putting itself into the RPM reduction mode, or the SLOW mode, or the limp mode. It only does this under load in the water. In neutral, it does not do this. I had a mechanic come out and the computer is not throwing any codes. He did mention that it was not showing the intake air temperature on his code scanner, but everything else looked within appropriate parameters. I checked the manual and I don't see a sensor for the intake air temp, so I don't think that this older system monitors that.. We also noticed that the warning alarm appeared to not be making any audibles sounds at all, so that may not be working. Not sure if the fact that the audible alarm is not working would make it go into RPM reduction mode? I would think not. I bought the boat this way, I replaced plugs, wires, cap and rotor, fuel filter,, oil filter,, oil change,, lower unit fluid change, and map sensor. Ran out all the old fuel running at 24000 RPM and put fresh non ethanol fuel in along with some seafoam. I also used some spray carb cleaner down the throttle body. It's the GM TBI injected system. Any idea why it might be going into the protection mode without throwing a code? Any assistance or advice would be greatly appreciated. I have the seloc manual, but is there something better, or more in depth for my engine I should get? Thanks!!

Last edited:
Ayuh,..... Inspect the Contents of the fuel filter, in a clear jug, for anything but clean fresh gasoline,.....
'n replace the filter,....

did the scanner validate the theory about entering limp mode?

I'd go looking for an adapter to check the fuel pressure...the ECU doesn't monitor fuel pressure and assumes adequate fuel pressure is present.

I'd also suggest finding the GM number on the ECU so you can identify the MEFI version number, and then get the MEFI manual (Delphi version) which are widely available on the www...

Back