Logo

1998 Merc 25hp outboard - broken shift gear selector thing

nick5446

Hi kids,

Had my boat out all day last week without issue (well, bad/old fuel and a bad fuel filter, but easy fixes). Pulled into the dock, threw it in neutral and shut it off. Today I went to take it out with fresh gas and fuel filter. It fired right up and once it warmed up it I put it into gear and it didn't engage. It revved normally, but didn't go anywhere. I popped off the cover and noticed that the socket on part 1 (below) was disconnected - easy enough fix. I popped it back on and it engaged into reverse fine. Then I threw it into forward and it wouldn't engage. Popped the cover off again and noticed that part 25 (below) snapped in half.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=64962

I'm not worried about the $20 part or the 60 seconds to replace it, but what would cause this? I have to believe there's another issue, right? Is this common at all? What would cause the socket to pop off, and then break that selector part? Some sort of binding in the bottom end?

Thanks in advance!

Realizing that that diagram isn't 100% correct - the part I actually need is 823808-3, which seems to perform the same function as #25 in the diagram, but it's different.

My first thought would be to clean up those parts and grease them to eliminate binding. Not sure otherwise without seeing it firsthand.
Hope this helps.

Back