Logo

1998 Johnson 50spl Dies @ WOT and now won't idle

Was running pretty good. Idle was decent - could have been better. Would occasionally die when shifting into gear. Always a LOT of oil in exhaust. Oil mix is 50:1. Current issue is was running at WOT when it suddenly lost power quickly and dies. It started right back up but dies each time in WOT after about 1 minute. Fuel bulb had fuel in it. No visible fuel lines were sucked it. Still died while squeezing priming bulb. Would only run at low rpms. Had to putt-putt back in. Rebuilt both carbs and changed plugs when I got it last year, not much use since. Recently replaced fuel tank, water seperator filter & mounting / inlet / outlet block, all external fuel lines and eliminated VRO completly ( oil tank & supply line was just removed previously and mixed in fuel tank ). Opened both carbs again and found no issues. Good fire at both plugs. Plugs in great condition. All three cylinders compression above 150 psi. I have adjusted idle mixture screws multiple times - starting from all the way closed, 2, 2-1/2 & 3 turns out. Fuel is pooling up in carb venturies when trim is level. Excess fuel and oil is coming out of intake breather tube when disconnected and layed inside lower cowl ( mostly oil though ). Really seems to me that carbs are flowing too much fuel in at idle. It currently will only idle with cold start throttle first all the way up then slowly lowered to 1/2 way up. I'm really close to bringing it to a shop but want to exhaust all self repair possibilities first. Thanks to all who help !

Some will argue.------The ignition system was designed and built to produce about 40,000 volts.----And that is capable of jumping a gap of 7/16" or more !----So you want to test the MAXIMUM output and condition of your magneto.----And if you see spark on a plug laying on a block it does not prove there will be spark with plug installed and air compressed to 120 PSI.-----It takes more voltage to do that.

Back