Logo

1998 Johnson 50 , throttle issue.

David C

I have a 1998 50 hp Johnson . End of fishing season last year had issues powering up wouldn't take throttle past 2000 rpms. I have replaced the fuel pump , all new fuel lines, new filter , carbs rebuilt, new fuel line an ball pump with connectors. Ran great on muffs in my driveway yesterday. Took it out fishing this morning and same problem won't take throttle over 2000 rpms. What could I be missing ?

Post the actual compression test values here.----And does spark jump a gap of 3/8" ( 1 cm ) on both leads.-----Oil injection in service or mixing 50:1 in the tank.-----Checked the flywheel key ?-----How did it run for you last season ?

Post the actual compression test values here.----And does spark jump a gap of 3/8" ( 1 cm ) on both leads.-----Oil injection in service or mixing 50:1 in the tank.-----Checked the flywheel key ?-----How did it run for you last season ?
Run pre mix in the tank. Ran great last year for almost the whole season. I fished lower lake Huron which is over a 3 mile run to wear I was at , spent couple hours fishing and on the ride back it just fell on its nose like it was missing. Throttle back and it seemed fine until I went to give it more throttle, wouldn't go above 2000 rpms. Basically had to idle back to the ramp about a mile.

Back