Logo

1998 johnson 35 hp difficulty getting upper shift rod to thread

myirishwaltz

Model -J35QLECA I mistakenly unthreaded the upper (20inch) shift rod from the shift linkage. diagram shows a single piece of threaded stock on inside of engine attached to shift linkage but I cannot line up the rod and threaded stock and start the thread. Do I have to put the linkage in a certain position. Appeciate the help.Also is the top of the shift rod purposely bent?

Last edited:
Remove powerhead to re-install the rod.-----Has the oil tank and mixing unit been thrown away ?----And when you install the upper rod you have to set it to a certain distance.----That number may or may not be in the manual.

Last edited:
Remove powerhead to re-install the rod.-----Has the oil tank and mixing unit been thrown away ?----And when you install the upper rod you have to set it to a certain distance.----That number may or may not be in the manual.
Thank you .Yes the oil tank and mixing unit removed by previous owner. Does the upper shaft have a bend ....we may have mistakenly straightened it out.

Does anyone know the measurement of the upper rod when threaded and connected so that trans will shift correctly? ref 98 Johnson 35hp model J35QLECA

Back