Logo

1997 Johnson 25 J25TKLEUR

trynhooker

Regular Contributor
This engine has the optical ignition. The owner prior to my customer removed the rect/reg.

Owner states that he runs engine a while THEN it shuts off completely. And when he tries to restart there is NO SPARK on any cylinder.
After it sits about 20 minutes, it magically fires back up.
He states when it happens he doesn't wiggle wires etc incase of a short, he just fishes and tries to start later.

He's also replaced stator, sensor and tried it with a swapped power pack, yet with all that it still has the same problem.

I'm running engine trying to see if happen but not seeing it "yet".

Tested kill wire for voltage with key on and no volts. Only thing I've noticed with that is when cranking obviously voltage spiked up... normal, but when I turn key off the voltage doesn't drop to 0 immediately? Maybe that's just my meter slowly grounding the voltage back to 0?

Any thoughts?

Well it happened. Engine idling fine in tank, barely touched fuel are screw, engine shut off.
30 min later it still hasn't started

Ok figured it out.
After running 10+ minutes it completely shuts off.
Before I ran it, all voltages were good. Then when it shut off I tested all electrical again. That's when I found nothing coming out of power pack. .

Lol back to square 1. Talked to customer this morning, asked again about parts he replaced.
He said when he bought the sensor, he ordered it from somewhere I've never heard of and paid $200. Considering a new one today costs $360, I'm thinking he bought a used one as he said it was in a plastic bag but not a sealed bag like almost every mercury electronic part I've ordered.

The strangest thing being he said he took PP off a working motor, tried it with same results of heating up losing spark.
I've got to test 12v from PP to sensor again to ensure it's sending required voltage to sensor cos I can't remember if I did that yesterday.

If that checks out, I'm going with replacing the PP since he's tried 2 different sensors and my understanding is that "usually" the sensor just flat out goes bad vice randomly works.

Do you have the manual? A DVA Adaptor? Seems like the parts cannon was already tried. Maybe further testing with the proper specs?

Do you have the manual? A DVA Adaptor? Seems like the parts cannon was already tried. Maybe further testing with the proper specs?
I have everything but the actual optical Tester.
I've already DVA'd everything you can test, all voltages resistances are spot on all the way to the coils/ wires, correct plugs.

A new powerpack fixes them 9 out of 10 times.
Lol yea. I've never been a replace till it's fixed business... from my 20yrs on submarines I have to know what's broke and prove it.

As I was reading the real manual vice the CDI guide, I noticed the CDI guide does not give the test for grounded coils between brown ~ gnd and brown/yellow ~ ground.
Now I've gotta go test that. CDI only lists res. between those wires and dva voltages.... Strange.

Charge coils checks out (OL) ohms to gnd. brn > gnd and brn/yel > gnd.

When battery charges I'll test each of those wire to gnd, cranking, to see if I get voltages = bad. Other than this last test, the stator is good.
12v voltage to sensor ( orange/red > gnd, black/orange > gnd) is good on both wires.

All that remains is no test device for the actual optical sensor, but we have 2 of them.

We have a winner! As I mentioned, the CDI guide does NOT even list the test to check charge coils to ground... unless they fixed it in the newest guide?

So when I test br -gnd and br/yl - gnd on 4 pinplug from stator, I get 10vdc using DVA as listed in actual service manual. That tells me the charge coils are shorted to gnd, and oddly enough, the motor now even cold will not start.

Now this prtt is confusing on this bastard engine. Model# is J25TKLEUR. NONE of the model guides even list this model as the code TK does not exists. This is a tiller/rope start/electric start. There is a TE code but no TK code.
So now I can't figure out WHICH stator this thing has?

BTW, the parts page lists 4 different ignition systems:
REMOTE, Rope AC, TE, TNT.
I would assume it should be the TE (tiller electric) but throw in rope start and back to beginning??

??----Where are you looking for parts ?-----I can find the TKLEUR listed for the parts ???----Right here on this site.-----And why would you question the ancestry of this fine motor ?

I think I've figured it out now. The Rope & AC model is actually for a lighting kit stator. Had to look up that stator to see the instructions.

So I should be using the TE model, tiller electric, even tho their own model identification chart doesn't list a TK model... hence bastard engine.! And throw in the Rope start and what a mess

Back