Logo

1997 Johnson 150 - Check engine light come on! Help!!

dafinga

Hi All,

So i hope someone can help me on the right path. (This is a 97' Johnson 150 carb model.)

We finally got the engine running but now experiencing problems with it - and i'm kinda running out of ideas on.

Heres the scenario:

Start the engine up - starts no problem, idles no problem

Run a tad "rough" at low speeds (my thought is carbs need to be rebuilt - which i might just do at the end of season if i can wait that long)

leave harbor to pick up speed - this thing runs like a champ! get on plane and moves! love it!

Shortly after speeding up - check engine light comes on. If you stop, slow down it will go off just to go on when you start moving again, And i believe when moving quickly that "S.L.O.W" mode kicks in cause my father is like, "the RPMS wont go any higher" once that light comes on

I took off the internal tank, and used an external tank just to get the same result. We even noticed the bulb going flat on the external. (ive read it could be a fault anti-siphon but the external tank proves thats not the case)

What i've changed out so far was: new champion spark plugs, new VRO pump, New Gas filter and gasket on engine.

I've thought about putting the old VRO back on and seeing maybe if that does the trick, perhaps i got a defective VRO. However i read a few places that this could be the result of an air leak/vacuum problem on the engine.

Any thoughts or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Update - Went out today, using onboard tank.

Swapped out the VRO for the old one.

Same problem - hit around 4k rpm for a minute or so, check engine light came on

stopped and waited, light turned off

as soon as the light went off we cruised back toward harbor (same distance out) at 3k rpm - no light whole way back in

i'm offically stumped

Back