Logo

1997 johnson 130

burned

Have a 1997 Johnson 2 stoke on a 19.5 four wins. Motor will not go over 3000 rpm no matter what you do.
Have checked compression 100 psi on all cylinders, 4 new ign. coils. 4 new plugs, 4 new ign. wires, new power pack, new water pump just for maintenance. Have at local shop and he is not sure also. Any help would be great.

I retired in 1991 and am not familiar with the 1997 130hp design or circuitry so some of what I have to say may not pertain to your engine.

Compression sounds okay.

Spark (with "all" spark plugs removed) should jump a 7/16" gap with a strong blue lightning like flame... a real SNAP! Does it?

(Spark Tester - Home Made)
(J. Reeves)

You can use a medium size philips screwdriver (#2 I believe) inserted into the spark plug boot spring connector, then hold the screwdriver shank approximately 7/16" away from the block to check the spark or build the following:

A spark tester can be made with a piece of 1x4 or 1x6, drive a few finishing nails through it, then bend the pointed ends at a right angle. You can then adjust the gap by simply twisting the nail(s). Solder a spark plug wire to one which you can connect to the spark plug boots, and a ground wire of some kind to the other to connect to the powerhead somewhere. Use small alligator clips on the other end of the wires to connect to ground and to the spark plug connector that exists inside of the rubber plug boot.

Using the above, one could easily build a spark tester whereas they could connect 2, 4, 6, or 8 cylinders all at one time. The ground nail being straight up, the others being bent, aimed at the ground nail. A typical 4 cylinder tester follows:

..........X1..........X2

.................X..(grd)

..........X3..........X4

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

The timer base under the flywheel that rotates to advance or retard the spark advance may be sticking in a retard position. Inspect it closely while having someone slowly advance the throttle... it should move smoothly throughout its entire movement range.
If all of the above checks out okay, the usual cause of the problem you describe is a fouled carburetor.

Let us know what you find.

Thanks everyone found 3 sleeves have spun, looking for new engine now. Thanks Brian

Cylinder sleeves?? If so, were they replacement sleeves installed via a machine shop? I've been in this trade for a very long time and have never encountered that scenario.

These sleeves are shrunk / heat fitted in place when new in the factory !-----Done since the first of these " lost foam " castings were done say 1984 or so.-------Cool / freeze the cast iron sleeve and warm up the block.---------They fall into place and lock together when temperature equalize.------------------When I take one of these blocks for scrap I throw it into the camp fire untill sleeves fall out.-----------Aluminum expands at roughly twice the rate as the cast iron sleeve.---------------If motor overheats severely then sleeves can come loose !!!!------------If someone does not get the precise fits correct then they will rotate as you found hinted at in post # 2

Last edited:
Back