Logo

1996 Yamaha S150TXRU, Two issues

GoFastr

Quick background:

Got this 1996 Yamaha S150TXRU Saltwater Series up and running after it sat on previous owners lift for almost three years. Pumped out stale fuel, put in new fuel/water separator assembly, raw water pump, cleaned up any wiring connection I could get to, cleaned fuel filter, opened up carb drain plugs on both sides and blasted out any gunk in the bowls and jets with carb cleaner and air blast from my compressor, visually inspected the two fuel pumps which "appeared" clean and diaphrams normal, etc., etc.

Most prominent issue: Go to fire it up...it starts and at first I have to keep hitting the choke button to keep it alive until it warms up a bit. After that I have to keep the throttle up around 1000=1200 rpm to keep it running which it will do and did for over an hour today (wanted to run some fresh and treated fuel thru the system) before I pulled the throttle back and it quickly sputtered down and off. Go to re-start and I still had to use the choke to get it to fire back up. Fuel filter is clean no gunk.

Thoughts? Opinions? Experiences?

2nd issue: Power trim pump goes up and down, but when I take it all the way up, it won't come back down. Pumps runs but I can hear gurgling like it's got air or low on fluid. If I lower using the manual release screw a little bit it will catch and trim down electrically.

Should I just run it up and down several more times to purge it.....or does it sound like it could use a tad bit more fluid?

Motor sits on the back of a 1995 20' Century center console.

Just the drain plugs. Shot them all full of carb cleaner thru the red straw to where it was streaming up thru the carb. Some white jelly came out as in old ethanol fuel. Then blasted each out with air. Actually did it twice after running it again for while.

The jets are not usually that easy to clean. I would strip the carbs right down and blow each jet out with plenty of air pressure.

That's exactly what I did yesterday afternoon and there was some gunk remaining. I didn't have a rebuild kit or anything, and I feel like I salvaged the fuel bowl gaskets well enuff to not create another problem or self-inflicted-wound I like to call it.

In a little bit I'm going to fire it up and see if there's any improvements...OR...worsening. Got new fuel pumps on order but they won't be here probably until Saturday at the earliest. If it remains exactly the same then the only thing left in my opinion would be the pump diaphrams are shot though they appear okay.

Any thoughts on the trim/tilt pump issue?

That's all exactly what I had done. Fired it up today after cleaning carbs out yesterday and it purred like a kitten smoothly idling at 800 according to the digital Yamaha tach. Found where the fill plug was on the trim pump reservoir and yep it needed some juice. Works fine now.

I had already done everything with the fuel system as mentioned in my original post except actually pulling the carbs and opening them up. As of right now the pumps seem fine, but when I get my new ones in I will go ahead swap them out.

All this being said, I have yet to float it and op-check it under load which I will do this weekend for sure. So consider this post complete.

Good work. Those engines are pretty bullet proof against everything except over propping. Should last as long as you want if maintained OK.

Back