Logo

1996 mariner 150 EFI MOTOR PROBLEMS

J

JIM PHELPS

I HAVE A 1996 MARINER 150 EFI

I HAVE A 1996 MARINER 150 EFI MOTOR AND CANT FIND ANY ONE TO REPAIR PROBLEM/ THE MOTOR RUNS FINE AND THEN ALL AT ONCE IT JUST SHUTS OFF LIKE YOU TURNED OFF THE KEY THE MOTOR WILL START RIGHT BACK UP BUT ONCE IT SHUTS OFF THE FIRST TIME IT STARTS MISSING VERY BAD. I HAVE HAD THIS TO 3 BOAT REPAIR SHOPS AND SPENT 1400 DOLLARS AND STILL HAVE SAME PROBLEM.THE VOLTAGE REGS. HAVE BEEN REPLACED / THE PLUGS/FUEL FILTERS AND THE HI PRESS. FUEL PUMP. PLEASE HELP IF ANY ONE CAN THANKS. JIM PHELPS!

"Jim.... The Mariner engines a

"Jim.... The Mariner engines are not my line of expertise by a long shot but your explanation of the problem you're having resembles one that I have encountered quite a few times with the OMC (Evinrude/Johnson) engines. In my case, the engines would start fine and run fine... for awhile, then suddenly stop running. The engine could be restarted within a short time but would not run properly.... then later on it would shut down again.

The cause that I found in all the cases that I encountered was that the ignition switch was shorting out on an intermitent basis. On the OMC ign switch, there is one wire that comes from the p/pack(s) (black wire/yellow stripe) to a terminal on the ign switch, and from another terminal on the ign switch (black wire) to ground. When the key is turned off, these two terminals are connected within the ign switch which shorts the ignition (p/pack) and stops the engine. Moisture, corrosion (something) had built up within the ign switch and intermitently would short out these two terminals, killing the ignition. Solution was simply to replace the ign switch.

Don't know if that may be your problem but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Joe
"

Back