Logo

1996 Johnson 50 HP (E50TLEDS) VRO Question

jdswather

I purchased this motor to replace a 1981 50 hp Johnson that didn't have tilt/trim. This motor has been laying for a few years in the previous owners field where he had a few other boats. When I got it home and started tearing it apart I noticed it had a VRO system, but the guy I bought it from didn't have the oil tank with it. I have talked to a few folks and they recommend just by-passing the VRO but I wanted to get others thoughts. I have been looking at new ($225) oil tanks and used (~$100), but I have been fine using premixed gas in my other motor so it isn't a big deal. Having the VRO would be nice, but is it worth the hassle of getting an oil tank and risking the system doesn't work or stops working in the future?

i wont use a vro on my engines just cant bring myself to trust em. i tossed the one off my 3cyl 70hp a while back and installed a mikuni in its place that i had laying around. now if i could find a jet foot for it that didnt cost a kidney i would put it on my boat for river duty

Back