Logo

1996 Evinrude keeps shutting off

curranwebb

I have a 1996 Evinrude 40hp outboard that I just installed on my project boat. It cranks and runs but will shut off after about 30 seconds to a minute if not constantly having gas pumped to it through the bulb. It will also stay running if I keep chocking, but that is also impractical. It seems to be an issue of not getting enough gas on its own, but I'm not sure why.

I have a 1996 Evinrude 40hp outboard that I just installed on my project boat. It cranks and runs but will shut off after about 30 seconds to a minute if not constantly having gas pumped to it through the bulb. It will also stay running if I keep chocking, but that is also impractical. It seems to be an issue of not getting enough gas on its own, but I'm not sure why.
You have a fuel delivery problem. This could be an air leak in the lines, a sticking anti-siphon valve in the tank, a bad diaphragm in the fuel pump, or an issue with one or both carbs. Also, "choking" on this engine does not exist, instead there is a primer solenoid that squirts fuel in behind the carb to richen the mixture.

What is the history on this engine? Have you ever run it before and if so, how did it run? If you just bought it to install on your project and you've never run it before, I would suggest to rebuild the carbs and do a once-over on the entire fuel line before using it on your boat.

KJ

You have a fuel delivery problem. This could be an air leak in the lines, a sticking anti-siphon valve in the tank, a bad diaphragm in the fuel pump, or an issue with one or both carbs. Also, "choking" on this engine does not exist, instead there is a primer solenoid that squirts fuel in behind the carb to richen the mixture.

What is the history on this engine? Have you ever run it before and if so, how did it run? If you just bought it to install on your project and you've never run it before, I would suggest to rebuild the carbs and do a once-over on the entire fuel line before using it on your boat.

KJ
I picked it up about 3 weeks ago and before I bought it I watched it run and it ran seemingly fine. One thing I have noticed is a gas leak that occurs out of the fuel pump near the front of the engine through its seams when I prime it a lot. Yet this leak only occurs while the motor is off. When I prime it hard while it is running there is no leak. I also took the fuel pump apart and tried to find the source and was unable to.

What fuel pump is on this motor , a VRO pump or a non mixing pump mounted on port side of top cylinder.----Or perhaps you are referring to the electric primer valve with the red lever ??----Hard to tell just where the leak is where I am sitting.

One other thing not mentioned that I have seen before-If using a remote 6 gallon tank, make sure the air vent on the cap is open... Other than that, I have seen this problem on a few lower HP OMC outboards I have owned.. Typically if all is ok with the carb it was always either of these-
1- problem with the pickup in the tank
2- problem in the line or squeeze primer bulb
3- diaphram in fuel pump weak or bad
Could be an issue after the pump I suppose, but in my experience it is more often before the pump in the tank, bulb or lines... bob

Back