Logo

1996 Evinrude 225 HP OceanPro - Check Engine Light

eantonoff

I have a pair of 1996 Evinrude 225 HP OceanPro engines that have 500 hours and have been meticulously maintained. I recently started both engines and after a few minutes the Check Engine Light came on for the PORT engine only. The engine starts fine and when I idle it up and down from 1000 to 3500 RPM it runs fine and the engine seems ok.I have the Service Manual for my engines and I am aware that this usually means there is a fuel restriction, a bad vacuum switch or a circuit issue.

I swapped the STABOARD engine's vacuum switch to the PORT engine to rule out the Vacuum Switch. The Check Engine light came on with the switches swapped.

I did notice that when I turn the key to the ON position and the System Check lights all 4 LED's and then Beeps that the Check Engine light comes on before starting the engine. That seems it would mean something and I am wondering if anybody can tell me what it means if the Check Engine light comes on before starting the engine ??

THANK YOU !!!

Check Engine Light came on for the PORT engine only.

I swapped the STABOARD engine's vacuum switch to the PORT engine to rule out the Vacuum Switch. The Check Engine light came on with the switches swapped.
So the check engine light stayed on in the PORT engine even though you swapped vacuum switches?

Are both engines fed by the same fuel line or separate sources? If they are separate you should start tracking down potential restriction points in the fuel supply for PORT engine. Check your fuel tank vent, primer bulb, and anti-siphon valve.

KJ

Back