Logo

1996 evinrude 130. Broken head bolt

Emann1981

Replacing head gaskets on the 1996 evinrude 130. I twisted the head off of 1 bolt. I was able to remove all the other bolts without a problem.
The problem I'm having is that the stud of the broken bolt is still rusted and stuck in the hole and holding the head in place so I can't get the head to come loose.
Im just trying to be careful and not destroy anything on this old engine.

Any suggestions? Can I just tap it sideways or use a screwdriver at the gasket area to break the seal?

New to this thread today...is any bolt stud sticking out or broken down in? Sticking out i would try to tack weld the center of a nut, smaller in diameter, that the bolt diameter is. The heat from the tack weld will help a little. Then try to get it out with a wrench on the nut. If its broken down in, id carefully center punch the stud. Get a really hard steel "left handed" drill bit and carefully try to center drill, to the left. Luckily as you are drilling the stud will heat up and the left hand bit will grab and back it out. If not and you get to the safe depth then id stop drilling. Get a really hard material "square" easy out and tap in the drilled hole wile trying to turn it to the left. That will help impact a little as you are hoping it grabs and backs out.

You have a challenge there, Good luck.

Try and rotate the head back and forth.

That worked! I was worried there was a locating pin or something. I was able to rotate it to break the seal and the bolt was still stuck in the head. Drilled out the broken bolt and removed it after the head was off. This forum is awesome! Good advise and quick responses. Thank you guys.

Back