Logo

1996 evinrude 130 bogs and loses multiple cylinders. Stalks and dies at high rpm

Emann1981

1996 evinrude 130 v4. 130psi across all cylinders. Freshly cleaned carbs. Fire on all cylinders . I can keep fuel to the carbs with the hand pump so I know its not starving for fuel. It will start and idle then start to sputter like it lost fire on a cylinder. When I put it in gear it will stall and die from lack of power. Its intermittent on the sputtering (it cuts in and out)almost like the ignition is breaking down. The sound also changes like no fire on a cylinder when the sputtering begins. I can get it to rev up but sputtering the entire time . Once at high (3000+)revs it will just stall and die completely dead. Then it will start right back up sputtering. Any ideas?

Update. I checked timing. Marked all 4 cylinders TDC on the flywheel. I started it and put a timing light in each plug wire one at a time. Cylinders 1&3 both showed pretty close to good. Cylinders 2&4 when I hit the timing light BOTH CYLINDERS showed to be firing on 2 AND 4 position. So its obviously an ignition problem. My question now is whether its the CDI or the timer base. Any thoughts or opinions?

Back