Logo

1996 Chaparrel 1930 Sport 5.7L Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen II

swiftworks

Hello, good afternoon all.

I went to change my oil yesterday and the oil looked a little chocolate milky. I am wondering if there is a way to easily pressure test the oil or exhaust system to see if there is a leak where water could be getting in. I am very new on the boat side of things, but and not mechanically incompetent. I don't want to take it to the dealer that sold it to me becuase they sold this to me in "excellent condition". The driveshaft is also leaking, is there a way to pressure test the outboard unit as well? I have replaced the gaskets, water pump, and impeller kit, but it is still leaking slightly. Willing to do the work myself, just need some proper guidance. I bought the service manual as well, but it is pretty vague.

Appreciate it.

Thanks,

Kyle

Ayuh,..... For the milky oil, drain, 'n pressure test the blocks cooling passages,.....
Who winterized it,..??

For the drive, pull it, 'n pressure test the drained drive,....

I winterized it per the instructions of mercruiser direct. pulled 2 block plugs and 2 hose plugs drained fully, replugged. filled with antifreeze, then started the engine and let it run through while feeding antifreeze until the fluid out was completely pink.

I know I need to pressure test the two systems, I just need some help regarding how to go about doing that.

If this is the first oil change after sitting for a while, then change the oil and filter. Run the engine until it gets good and warm, then check the oil. You may have to change it more than once if it is getting progressively clearer as you go. Collected water in the oil doesn't spell the end nor does it mean the engine is no good but it does mean that you must do due diligence in both troubleshooting and remediation. As you know, water in the oil will scrub the babbit off the bearing shells PDQ, so proceed with caution.
Possibly a head or intake gasket so don't freak out yet.

This is the first oil change I've ever done on the boat, I've only owned it for about a year. I'll start the boat and let it run tonight till it gets warm and check it then. You are saying if it is milky again, change the oil and oil filter again? Do I have to do complete oil changes (5 quarts?)

Also, looking for more information on the pressure test of the block cooling passages and the external drive.

Thanks,

Where did you find the winterizing method?

I know there is NO mercruiser method that includes running after draing the block and manifolds.

Maybe you should ask us here next time and get professional advice.

@kghost

I would never run it dry, maybe I miscommunicated. I called Mercruiser direct and watched a couple youtube videos. 2 plugs on the block. 2 plugs on the lines, remove em. drain it. hook up a bucket with a hose to the muffs full of antifreeze, ran antifreeze through the entire system until pink spit out from the back of it.

We all start somewhere, and I'm just looking for help and guidance - Hence why I am here NOW...

Appreciate it

The issue is you should never run it after draining, period!
You remove specific hoses from specific locations and pour RV antifreeze in those hoses and reinstall hoses and tighten clamps.

You tube is a valiable resorce but not all videos are showing the correct method or proceedure..

I have been winterizing for over 30 years and Never have run an engine after draining it.

Cool man, point taken and will keep it in mind. Do you have any advise or guidance on the original questions, separate from the winterization.

Ayuh,...... To pressure test the drive, drain the oil, 'n pressurize to 5 lbs or so, 'n check the seals with soapy water,....
The drain, 'n fill plugs are 3/8"-16,....
If you split the drive, you'll need to plug the passage that runs from the upper to the lower,.... I've used a wooden plug, like a pencil,....

For the block, pinch off, or plug the in-comin' hose from the drive, 'n the hoses out to the manifolds, then pressurize through a drain plug, which is 1/4" pipe,..... 'bout 15 psi is plenty, then listen for excapin' air,.... it should hold pretty much forever,....

Outdrive pressure check to 12-15 psi.

Drive produces ~ 7 psi when under load.

Merc does not have an actual spec that I have ever seen. OMC had a outdrive pressure check spec of 17 psi.

So for Merc, 12-15 PSI

Back