Logo

1996 bayliner 3.0lx, simple(I think) question

Singlesupra

The engine at the end of last season decided to drop a valve on the mufflers. Prior to this it always ran great. It did enough damage where it would take more to repair than just swap out the engine.
Its a 96 bayliner with the 3.0 LX engine.
I am having a lot more luck finding a earlier, around 1993 version engines much easier than I am finding 96 and newer.
I have done some searching and see that you can buy adapter plates to bolt your intake to the head, etc..
My question is since the engine I will be getting will be fully dressed, do I need to buy anything other than the fully dressed engine for it to work? Lets say from 1993, Im guessing the 120hp engine into my 140hp equipted 1996? I realize its 20hp down on power, I dont really need the extra power as my kids HATE tubing and Im sure not getting my old ass on a set of skis anyway. This boat is used solely for island hopping and is still in really great shape cosmeticly and has a new outdrive as well from the previous owner that is also low miles.

Thank you in advance and hope my question came out correctly. Thank you

Thanks guys, I figured that it should be a simple plug and play. I had read that the changes came about in 88 or 91, wanted to verify. Thanks again

Thanks guys, I figured that it should be a simple plug and play. I had read that the changes came about in 88 or 91, wanted to verify. Thanks again

yes in 91 they went from a two piece to single piece rear main seal. This necessitated a flywheel size change from 12 3/4” to 14” which also means your engine to drive coupler is different. Again if you have a complete engine it will be a drop in swap.

Ok guys, playing heck here finding a 91 up engine now ������
Does anyone know what year works and what extra parts I will need?
(Example, a 1988 3.0, what else is required)
It seems every search says something different.
I have all the accessories off of my engine, the ONLY things I cant reuse are my long block (block, rotating assembly, head)
Thanks in advance, getting my butt kicked searching

The only differences I know of are

flywheel size and engine coupler changed in 1990- this Engine add towards the bottom outlines the flywheel and coupler changes they also sell the correct smaller flywheel and coupler to use an earlier engine in a newer setup.

the only other difference I think is the head and intake as outlined above there was a power difference between the 3.0 L and 3.0LX, I think this is for a different cylinder head, would check the intake ports to head fit if swap If swapping the intake from one generation engine to another. Might fit and work or might be a problem I’m not 100 % sure

The only differences I know of are

flywheel size and engine coupler changed in 1990- this Engine add towards the bottom outlines the flywheel and coupler changes they also sell the correct smaller flywheel and coupler to use an earlier engine in a newer setup.

the only other difference I think is the head and intake as outlined above there was a power difference between the 3.0 L and 3.0LX, I think this is for a different cylinder head, would check the intake ports to head fit if swap If swapping the intake from one generation engine to another. Might fit and work or might be a problem I’m not 100 % sure

The add you tried to link in this post didnt post. The one below did

Thanks for the help, btw

Thank you. According to what that site says, the crank is different and my flywheel wouldnt bolt to it. Someone could make a killing by making a larger flywheel that bolts to the older crank. That site said they sell a small flywheel that's drilled for the newer cranks though so maybe someone does

Back