Logo

1996 4.3 v-6 hard starting- cold or hot

mike1970

Am having a recurring starting problem w/ my 4.3 rwc alpha one.
Either hot or cold, it takes a lot of cranking to get it to start. 2 years ago, I had the marina go thru it and they rebuilt the carb and installed a new module in the distributor, it worked great, started right up, ran great, however, that only lasted about 2 months, and went back to the way it was before.
I am thinking it is the carb again, possibly some dirt or something got into it, because the marina said there was some junk in it when they took it apart, even though it has a spin-on fuel filter.
What are your opinions?
Thank you

Maybe try and clean out your whole fuel system. From the tank to the carb. Could also be your choke is not working properly.

If it has an electric fuel pump (?) that could be an issue as the power to this gets cut by the oil pressure sensor (engine back right, just above the oil filter) if it does not see some oil pressure at start up. If the engine has been standing for a while this could be a problem. Turn the ignition to the on position and listen for the electric fuel pump. If the electric fuel pump is not running, pull the oil pressure sender and jump the contacts in the socket with a paper clip or something similar. Turn the ignition to the on position and listen for the fuel pump again. If the fuel pump is running try to start the engine. If it is not, have a look at the fuel pump connector to make sure the contacts are clean ... Probably worth looking at this before you try anything more complicated!

Back