Logo

1996 200hp efi cold start issues.

Rscottdds

Regular Contributor
When I try to start the boat after sitting a week it won’t start unless I remove a few plugs and use starting fluid. Once started it will start again all day. Sit for a week and it’s back to the starter fluid again. Any ideas?

Robert

Quit using starter fluid as will wash off cylinder lubrications!!! Need to check wiring from starter solenoid to ECU and fuel pressure. If wiring/pressures OK you have a ECU problem

Thanks for the responses. Why would it fire right up with starting fluid then start all day without issue? This started last weekend when it wouldn’t start I’m the morning. Fired right up with ether. Started 5 or 6 times during a day of bass fishing. Went to start last night and had to use the fluid again. Warmed it up then turned off and let it sit for half hour. Fired right back up. Let it sit overnight and it fired again this morning.

Keep using ether and a rebuild is in your future...What happens is when you shut it off overnight, the engine heat "dries" the crankcase so no vapors to help restart. The ECU is not priming injectors when cranking so either low fuel pressure or ECU problem...

Thanks. Yeah I don’t plan on using ether regularly. It was just to save a day of fishing. Is there a better way like using prefix squirted into a cylinder if I need to in the future?
Robert

Back