Logo

1995 Mercury Bigfoot 60 hp Water Circulation

MickyT

I have been lurking on here learning about my new to me outboard. I have read the posts regarding water cooling on fuel pump with interest. I have a hose running to the cover plate of the pump from a fitting on the block in line with the top cylinder about 3" or so from where top carb bolts on. There is no zip ties on the hose and when I removed it no water seen so not sure if this is what folks are talking about. I also read to relocate tell take from bottom port side of block to top cylinder. I have a brass fitting there near the top which could be used and I'm thinking the bottom fitting currently used is plastic so thinking might be better to simply plug it rather than try to remove an old plastic fitting. Am I on the right track here folks? Thanks

Hmmmmm looking closer at the hose running from block to pump maybe its a vacuum hose. Would explain no clamps. Only other hoses are the in and out for fuel. Perhaps this vintage had done away with water cooled fuel pump. In any case is there a benefit to relocating tell tale as per above.

i dont believe in fooling with design....especially anything to do with cooling....adding a water leak to a critical part of the engine just aint in my book...adding a temp gauge where that plug is would be ok...

Back