Logo

1995 Johnson 112 SPL- should I repair?

KRN

I have a 1995 Glastron 17’ with a 1995 Johnson SPL 112hp with oil injection. Boat trailer and motor in excellent condition and nearly cosmetically perfect. Never in salt water, properly winterized every year and stored in enclosed unheated shelter every winter. Always kept in a garage over the summer except when trailered to the lake. Engine was idling rough when hot, and professional marine shop found #1 cylinder has a cracked ring and slight scoring (note: carbs have all metal bowls – not plastic, so this was apparently not the cause of the idle problem). Compression: Cylinder #1 was 70, #2, #3, #4 were 130+.
The question is: Is this engine worth repairing? I consulted 3 shops. All quote $2,500 to $3,000 for the repair. The first shop recommends new piston, rings, and re-bore for only the bad cylinder, and a new fuel/oil pump. The second shop recommends new pistons, rings and re-bore for all cylinders. The third shop recommends pistons, rings, and re-bore for only the bad cylinder, and new rings only for the other cylinders along with a new fuel/oil pump and new water pump. 2 of the 3 shops don’t think it is worth the expense to repair at all. I really like the boat and motor combination and am leaning toward repairing the engine.
Any recommendations and comments are appreciated.

The first shop recommends new piston, rings, and re-bore for only the bad cylinder, and a new fuel/oil pump.

(Not enough work here)

The second shop recommends new pistons, rings and re-bore for all cylinders.

(Too much work here)

The third shop recommends pistons, rings, and re-bore for only the bad cylinder, and new rings only for the other cylinders along with a new fuel/oil pump (VRO) and new water pump.

(This is my normal work procedure, HOWEVER you would want the remaining good cylinders honed/deglazed so that the new rings break in properly... and you would also want the carburetors cleaned thoroughly and rebuilt along with double checking the ignition/spark. Something caused the engine to fail such as a clogged carburetor, weak ignition, something. You do not want a repeat of the problem due to a clogged carburetor jet, erratic ignition on that #1 cylinder)
The mechanic at this 3rd shop probably has these thing in mind but check with him to have peace of mind.

Here is a long overdue update: I followed the advice above as well as the advice of a 40 year career outboard mechanic and had all cylinders re-bored and replaced all pistons and rings (of course). One ring had broken and lodged itself between the piston and barrel and badly scored the one cylinder. The motor has run flawlessly for the past 6 years. Cost was about $3,000 but worth it. I'm glad I had it repaired.

Properly done with all new pistons is the ticket.------A simple motor that does not rely on a $3000 ECU to run nicely.-----Putting new rings in old worn ring grooves would have been a mistake !!!

Thanks for coming back with the update. That $3K bill is a big chunk to swallow, but if everything else is in good shape it can be worth the expense. Sure you can buy a used outboard, but are you you buying new/different problems? Many times no, but sometimes you are. You can also do a brand new re-power, but at about $100/horsepower that gets really pricey and you have to question the value of the boat.

A properly done rebuild can extend the life of the outboard for a long time and get you back on the water for a moderate price.

Good luck and I hope this rig lasts you many more years.

KJ

Thanks for the comment. The boat is in like new condition having always been stored inside and covered when not in use, so the rebuild was well worth the price to me. A new engine for a 20+ year old boat was not a practical option.

I have always questioned whether or not to invest that much in an old motor, but guess what? You got a good mechanic, machinist, and you are a good operator. That's when the expense pays off.

Here is a long overdue update: I followed the advice above as well as the advice of a 40 year career outboard mechanic and had all cylinders re-bored and replaced all pistons and rings (of course). One ring had broken and lodged itself between the piston and barrel and badly scored the one cylinder. The motor has run flawlessly for the past 6 years. Cost was about $3,000 but worth it. I'm glad I had it repaired.

Thank you so much for your perfect-timing update on a 6 years old issue! I am about to go buy a 1996 112 SPL (Johnson) from a local outboard shop with impeccable reputation, rebuilt by their top rebuilder. It will go on the back of a 1975 Seaswirl tri-hull 16 footer, and the shop staff told me it will absolutely FLY on my hull.

I've had more than my share of bad luck and mistakes through ignorance and bad choices, and have sworn off I/Os and moved to outboards, only to then have bad luck with the outboard motors I got. (resulting from inexperience and ignorance on my part, yes) Took my 16' aluminum Bluefin (aka Spectrum same hull as Starcraft) to the top recreation-camping-boating lake in the state for a week, after spending $$ on local shop getting it purring. Of course, the motor died and had problems when I went to run it. The only motor that worked was my 2006 Tohatsu 5HP I had rebuilt the carb on. Hey, 5MPH is more than fast enough, right?

Anyway, I'm sick and tired of boating fails, so I figured if I got a "new-rebuilt" engine from the best builder around, maybe the boating gods would smile on me and give me 3 seasons of actual boating, mostly trouble-free, without on-water failures, and knowing each spring that I can count on going boating on Memorial Day, and any and every darn day I want to, is a big deal.

Your story inspires me that it's worth it to spend the $4.5K, which includes the install, controls, and matched prop, year warranty parts and labor, plus a year more labor. If I get 6 flawless-running years from it, like you, that would be AMAZING, and I would take it in an instant.

These crossflow motors run really well if in good condition.------If you know how they work and how to start them you do not need the $100+ / hour service shop.---Big $$$ electronic parts on fuel injected motors.------Or the 6 week wait for them to look at it.

Back