Logo

1995 Evinrude Vindicator (E200CXEOC) Won't Plane

Dam13n

Contributing Member
My Vindicator had a miss on top side and when checking components I found the Voltage regulator was bad. Voltage regulator was replaced with a new cdi unit. To get to the Voltage regulator, I had to remove the power pack. When putting the power pack back together I was uncertain which was the orange and orange black wire because the stripe faded. What is the symptom if these two are crossed. The outboard will start and Idle smooth, Just can get on plane. I just replaced both thermostats and and impeller. I check the top of the head with thermogun and it's not running hot. I get 140ish degrees Fahrenheit on both heads near the top.

Thanks for the response @faztbullet. Since it was starting up without issues, I did swap over the two 2 pin connectors (Brown Leads from Stator to Power Pack) she fired right up but hadn't had a chance to put it on the pond. I will this weekend and provide update.

OK, Here's the update from the weekend testing. Took the boat out and still would not get on plan. Decided to do some diagnostics while on the water and not on Muffs in the driveway. Unplugged the temperature sensors Brown Wires on both banks, retest and same issue. Unplug rectifier yellow wires, retest and same issue. Preformed drop test to be sure each cylinder was firing. Results: No. 1 No Fire, No.2 Firing, No. 3 Firing, No. 4 No Fire, No. 5 Firing, No. 6 Firing. Pulled No. 1 and No. 4 Coil Pack and checked on Ohm Meter. Readings looked good when comparing them to others that were firing. Changed these 2 with new CDI and now fining on All cylinders. However this was checked while being on the Muffs. I plan to lake test this weekend and provide update.

Back