Logo

1995 Evinrude Vindicator 200 hp Model E200CXEOC Heavy white smoke.

Dam13n

Contributing Member
All, I'm not sure if I am having VRO issue of over filling with oil or what but it is smoking like crazy! Opened the bowls and look like there is more oil in them then gas. I've never had issues with heavy smoke before but all of a sudden. Should I just bypass the VRO and pre-mix?

I did just rebuild the carbs, replaced stator, replaced all coil ignitions, and new power pack.

I take out the little check valve, put cap back together. I should have a bucket full of those check valves by now......another "engineering masterpiece". Just make sure if your boat sinks, you drain out and dry the oil tank. That thing shouldn't be ever flooded over the top anyway, if it does.....shame on you!

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. I will remove the cap and let you know if any thing changes. Also, will the smoke ever clear up? Is there a way to get the excessive oil out of the crankcase?

Also, when I twisted the cap off of the Oil reservoir, there was a bit of pressure in that tank. It hissed when I first cracked it open.

Yup.....often times you never see that pressure. Gonna just have to take her for "boogie cruise".....should clear out if thermostat is working. If you want to be safe, I would get new spark plugs too.

Not to hijack the OP's thread, but please explain the cap issue in more detail. This is one I've never come across and I'd be interested to know what the problem is with the check valve. What does a sticking check valve do that creates excess oil in the pump/carbs?

KJ

It creates pressure in the oil tank as the oil gets hot in the sun or from temperature changes. That pressure directs oil into the poor old VRO unit and floods the system. Many perfectly good VRO's are omitted because of this stupid problem.

It creates pressure in the oil tank as the oil gets hot in the sun or from temperature changes. That pressure directs oil into the poor old VRO unit and floods the system. Many perfectly good VRO's are omitted because of this stupid problem.
I thought that might be the case but wanted to hear it first hand. My '96 Rude 150 sometimes smokes more than I would like on startup or I'll see excessive oil around the carb throats when I take off the flame arrestor.

A new cap is only $18 so I might as well buy a new one and give it a shot.

Thanks,
KJ

So I take it as you still run the VRO KevinJ?
I will run the boat this weekend to clear out the smoke and let you guys know if removing the check valve solves the issue.

Smoke at start up is normal for 2-stroke engines. But the smoke I have is way out of the norm. I'll keep everyone posted.

Thanks

I will run the boat this weekend to clear out the smoke and let you guys know if removing the check valve solves the issue.

Smoke at start up is normal for 2-stroke engines. But the smoke I have is way out of the norm. I'll keep everyone posted.

Thanks

Smoke at start up is normal for 2-stroke engines.....
Yes, my VRO is fully functional. I like to avoid pre-mixing whenever possible.

I've had 2-strokes for 30 years so I'm used to some smoke. But, after reading your post, it got me thinking how mine also seems to smoke more that I would expect and then after running a while it's significantly decreased to the point it's barely visible.

VRO's give your motor the oil it needs at regulated ratios. More throttle, more oil. At idle and low speed mixing ratio is near 120:1. WOT we are at about 50:1. Best I can do for my older stuff is 100:1.....safe with Amsoil. I have spoken many times with the founder and owner, Al Amatuzio (now deceased), who assured me that his 100:1 2 stroke was extensively tested at 200:1

Back