Logo

1995 Evinrude 175 Bad Rectifier

rkersh409

Contributing Member
I have a 1995 Evinrude 175hp that I purchased used in 2006. Shortly after purchase, the rectifier burnt up, and I replaced it with a CDI. Took the boat out for a run this past weekend and everything was running great. About an hour into the ride, I noticed the tach stopped working. Loaded up and come home to trouble shoot the problem. I still have charging at the batter, 13+ volts at idle. Stator ohms out per manual, .12 ohms and no ground. Not getting any voltage from gray wire running or not. So, figure I need a new rectifier. But I tried Joe's troubleshooting guide and connected the gray wire to the tach to the yellow/gray wire from stator and still don't have any tach. May have a bad tach also? I was wondering if the VRO stops working if it's not getting any signal from the gray wire?

The VRO operates with air PRESSURE from the crankcase.----The " no oil " warning circuit may not be reliable if module gets no signal from alternator.

The one cause of rectifier/regulator failures is due to weak impellers...the block does not fully fill the main block cavity to cool the underside of rectifier even though it appears to "P" good..

Thanks for the replies, I am glad the VRO doesn't run ogf the grey wire. Had me worried I wasn't getting oil.
while on muffs in the driveway, the tattletale will create a small hole. So hopefully it isnt from a weak water pump.

How often should these rectifiers last? 10-15 years?

Question was your tach the problem I have this same issue that didn't read any more than 1100 rpm then when I attached Grey wire to the yellow with Grey same thing 1100 only but I just attached Grey to the strip on motor left the two yellow /Grey stator and rectifier wires on the strip maybe should have removed the rectifier y/g and just attached Grey with stator y/g??

Just got my rectifier in today, and everything is working fine now. I tried the grey wire and yellow/grey wire all sorts of ways and never had the tach work. So I have no idea why your only getting 1100 rpms.

Back