Logo

1995 Crusader 454XLI electric fuel pump

Randy Dvorak

We have a 1995 Carver motor yacht with Crusader 454 XLI engines. Starboard engine will start fine first thing in the morning and runs fine. After six hours of mooring with gen running engine will not start. Marina checked engine fuel supply to throttle body injectors and found no fuel supply. They proceeded to change out the electric fuel pump. If we start the engine every hour it cranks for a while and eventually starts. The hotter the weather the worse the problem is. I have suggested we check to see if we have an issue with the fuel or ignition relays. The marina questioned whether this engine has relays. Are there relays that can be causing this issue. BTW they also have changed the ignition coil which was not the issue. Thoughts anyone?

After six hours of mooring with gen running engine will not start.

Most Marine fuel filter base units offer twin ports for IN and OUT.
When single fed, one IN port will be blocked off.
A main engine may use one "out" port, and a generator may use the other "out" port.

images

Since you mentioned "with gen running" , is it possible that the generator is sharing one of the "OUT" ports one a filter base with this engine that is giving you trouble?
IOW, could the generator's fuel demand be pulling on the fuel supply to this main engine that won't re-start?

If easy to do, perhaps swap the Generator fuel supply over to the other main engine fuel filter.
See if the issue swaps engines.

If the problem swaps sides, you may need to add a second anti-siphon valve to "check" the supply that is headed to the main engine.

Long shot.... but perhaps worth mentioning.

your engine harness should have a pair of relays...could they be the problem - maybe.

Assuming the diagnosis was correct, you need to find out why the fuel isn't being delivered to the throttle body...could be the pump, pump's wiring, or the fuel supply to the pump (one variant of the theme Rick mentioned). the other issue could be environmental...

depending upon how your engine/generator/hull are configured, it may be getting too hot.

How long has this been a problem? Any issue with the Port Engine?

Dang, this is my week for typos..... :mad: :mad:

Correction:
Since you mentioned "with gen running" , is it possible that the generator is sharing one of the "OUT" ports on a filter base with this engine that is giving you trouble?

There is not a problem with the port engine. It starts just fine and sahres the same space asthestarboard engine and generator. Also, the engines are on separate fuel tanks and the generator draws its fuel from the port engines fuel tank not the same tank as the starboard engine.

There is not a problem with the port engine. It starts just fine and sahres the same space asthestarboard engine and generator. Also, the engines are on separate fuel tanks and the generator draws its fuel from the port engines fuel tank not the same tank as the starboard engine.
OK..... we are limited to the information that you provide.
I guess that I was trying to make a correlation between the Gen and Stbd engine since you said:
Starboard engine will start fine first thing in the morning and runs fine. After six hours of mooring with gen running engine will not start.
Marina checked engine fuel supply to throttle body injectors and found no fuel supply.

Question: Does not this NOT occur if the Generator has not been operated?
IOW, how dependant is this isssue upon/with regard to generator operation?

At this time I do not think that the generator has anything to do with the problem, other thanit shares the same compartment as the two engines. In conversation this morning with a tech from another marina, since we had such a hot summer here in Oklahoma, he thought it was a vapor lock issue. Which we will not know any further until next season when the heat returns. If vapor locking is the issue what does one do to solve and why doesn't the port engine experience the same problem? So I am not sure that it is a vapor lock issue.

If the issue only effects one engine, I'd discount a heat induced vapor lock issue for the time being.

I'd suggest a rigorous troubleshooting approach to prove the issue's root cause and then fix it. (You may want to enlist a different mechanic as "throwing parts" at a problem only adds to your expense.

I'd start with verifying the fuel pump has adequate electric current (when it is suppose to have it) and that the supply line feeding it has no abnormal restrictions. Also that the fuel in the tank hasn't deteriorated or become contaminated...

I couldn't agree more with your "throwing parts at it" comment. Will start to diagnose step by step and possibly hire a new mechanic. Thank you for your comments.

Back