Logo

1995 50 HP Johnson

Jeff Yoscovits

Hi all. I'm new to this site and it looks like there is a lot of knowledge here. I have an opportunity to get a 1995 50 Johnson with a knock. The owner took it to a dealer and they pulled the head and there was piston movement in and out of the bore. I'm guessing rod bearing failure. I am a Ford master tech by trade but have never been inside an outboard. Can anyone tell me the degree of difficulty to tear this down and attempt to repair. Are special tools needed? What would be involved in just replacing the powerhead? Would a failed rod bearing require crankshaft replacement? Thanks in advance for any help>

Re: 50 HP Johnson

I got a Seloc manual. It leaves a lot to be desired. Not very detailed. Reads almost like Chinese translated. Anyway, there is nothing in it regarding the removal of the lower cover. I am assuming this is necessary to remove the powerhead. Any tips would be appreciated. Also, they are calling for a connecting rod alignment tool. Is this necessary or can I do without it? Thanks.

I have everything removed from the engine except the flywheel and related parts below it. Still would like to know the extent of damage you guys usually see when a rod bearing fails. Also still need to know if the alignment tool is absolutely necessary when reassembling. Thanks.

I have powerhead torn down. Found top cylinder connecting rod bearing failed. All other bearings appear OK. Crank journal discolored but not scored or otherwise damaged. I initially thought the VRO system failed and oil starvation caused my problem, but I would think both rod bearings would be damaged. A friend suggested that the upper carb may be plugged up causing damage to only upper rod bearing. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I don't need any problems after reassembly. Thanks.

Back