Logo

1994 Nissan NS40C lower unit? - need some guidance

wexcellent

I have very limited experience working on engines of any kind let alone outboards.

I have had this motor for 18 years now with very few problems.

The engine still starts right up every time and seems to run fine in the yard with a hose. Over the last few years I thought I was developing a fuel or electric problem. The engine would cut out under power. Then upon restarting it would either run fine and get up on plane or be sluggish, like it couldn't develop rpms. Then at the end of last year it wouldn't get up on plane at all, just bogged down. I put it away for the year because I just didn't have the time to deal with it.

So finally this weekend I changed the plugs, changed the gear case oil (some minimal discoloration in the gear oil, but it appears to be more of a silver, metalic sheen then white watery discoloration, and no discernable metal of any size), and got new ethanol free gas which I have taken to adding Sea Foam to. Started right up in the yard, and no problem revving it. Put it in the water and I have no power in reverse but do have VERY minimal forward power. The engine itself appears to be running fine and revs up in gear without a corresponding transfer of power to the propeller. So I don't understand how this could be true, how do I have "some power"? Isn't the dog either engaged or not? There is no grinding noise. But this basically has to be a lower end problem right?

One other thing I have noticed is that I do get some oil dripping out of the exhaust port when I store the boat. In my memory this has always been a thing, but perhaps it has gotten worse. I just assumed this was because the motor has always not seemed to burn off oil very well, lots of exhaust, and it has always been sluggish after idling or trolling for very long - I thought this was just excess oil but I was too afraid to run it any leaner than manufacturer specs and what do I know?

Also, I have never changed the water pump and it still seems to run strong.

Assuming it is the lower unit and given what I have described what is the recommended approach on an engine of this age? Watch you tube videos and take it apart and replace gears as needed (and since I have it apart replace the water pump and all seals)? Is there a chance that this is the dog gear and the rest of it is fine? Or at this point should just buy a used lower unit and replace the whole thing? Upon cursory glance online it appears that parts are available if parts replacement is a good idea.

Or given how little I know about motors could this be something else entirely and there is other troubleshooting I should do first before messing with the lower end? In a couple of weeks I am going to be done working for the summer and have as much time as I need to devote to getting this thing back up and running.

Likely have a ruined prop hub. Replace the prop.
I put a slightly used prop on and put it in the water, no change. So it isn't the prop hub.
I read that the shift linkage might be a problem and I thought it all looked okay so I want to check that. Besides those two issues is there something else it could be that I should check before tearing into the lower unit?

I saw an older post by you on the Iboat forum - do you still deal in Nissan parts? I seem to have trouble finding much in the way of guidance online regarding rebuilding the lower unit. Any suggestions for resources?

Likely have a ruined prop hub. Replace the prop.
It looks like the grommet where the shift linkage enters the housing above the lower unit is gone. I am thinking that if I drop the lower unit I have to disconnect that shift linkage. Is there a possibility that it has slipped or become detached in that location and that is causing the problem?

Any Tohatsu dealer can handle Hissan, as they are rebadged Tohatsus. There is a brass coupler in the shift linkage that you separate to drop the LU. You could have something wrong in the LU, but if it actually engages, likely not.

Any Tohatsu dealer can handle Hissan, as they are rebadged Tohatsus. There is a brass coupler in the shift linkage that you separate to drop the LU. You could have something wrong in the LU, but if it actually engages, likely not.
I finally pulled and disassembled the lower unit today. The beveled gear on the drive shaft is toast but the others actually look good and the clutch gear looks good too. Given the age of the motor and that I don't want to drop a lot of money into it I am leaning towards just replacing the one gear. The bearings all seem okay as well - I am thinking it was a pretty catastrophic failure right at the end and so the larger chunks of metal didn't really have a chance to damage the bearings. Any advice on how to make sure I get any bits of metal out of the bearings before reassembling? Rinse them in diesel maybe?

Back