Logo

1994 Johnson 60 HP top carb spitting fuel

Ben C

Just cleaned/rebuilt carbs and replaced fuel lines on 1994 Johnson 60 HP, J60TLERV. It started easy and seems to runs fine after adjustment on muffs with the air box off. The top carb is spitting a very tiny amount of fuel and the lower 2 are dry. I have never looked at it before with the air box off so I don’t know if it did it before or if this is something new. Any thoughts on if I did something wrong on the rebuild, I can pull the top carb and re-clean or is there possibly something else going on? Will running as is cause any damage? Any help would be appreciated.
Many Thanks
Ben C

The only thing that I know of that would cause that would be that a leaf valve isn't seating properly on the reed plate.

I have removed the leaf valve from time to time and simply flipped it over... the leafs that were already seated remained seated and the one that was slightly open seated also... just lucky perhaps but it's worth mentioning.

Also cheaper $$$! :)

Joe,
Thank you for the reply\info. Do you think this is worth pursuing, or should I just run it as is?
Many thanks
B

Joe, Thank you for the reply\info. Do you think this is worth pursuing, or should I just run it as is? Many thanks. B

Frankly, if it were me... I'd have to correct it.

With the carburetor face plate installed, those small spittles of fuel flying around will no doubt be drawn into the other carburetors..... Not sure if that would affect the other two cylinders or not. I'm afraid the judgement call on that will need to rest on your shoulders.

Joe,
Thanks for your insight, it is valuable to me as a newbie. I'll get started based on your expertise.
Thank you for your time.
B

Back