Logo

1994 Evinrude OceanPro 150 shift cable adjustment?

Steveo123

Good morning, everyone:

I have a 1994 OceanPro 150 on the back of a Grady White 192 Tournament (the original set-up). It has the original side-mount remote control; it's the sort that doesn't have the ignition switch/emergency lanyard (that's installed in the dash). The controls only have the gear shifting lever and the trim control.

My problem is that the engine won't switch from forward/reverse into neutral when the remote control lever is "clicked" into the neutral position (i.e. at 12 o'clock position). I can get it into neutral by moving the lever into the opposite gear a bit. For example, if I have the engine in forward and move the lever back to neutral and click it into what should be neutral, in order to get the propeller to stop, I have to move the lever a bit into the reverse "zone". The same is true if I'm in reverse; to get it back to neutral, I have to move the lever over into the forward "zone."

This seems to me pretty clearly to be an adjustment issue, and am hoping for some guidance on how to address the issue. I've looked under the cowling where the cable joins the mechanism that in turn joins the vertical shift rod, but don't see anything obviously "wrong" or otherwise out of sorts. The cable has no kinks or other apparent issues, and has a nice, lazy sweeping bend into the engine; thus, I don't believe there are any mechanical issues with the cable itself. That said, I'm certainly not experienced with this issue.

Thanks in advance for any troubleshooting/adjusting/repairing advice!

Remove shift cable at the motor.-----Shift linkage to put lower unit in neutral.----Put control box in neutral.-----Adjust trunnion on cable to suit.----Re-install cable.

Back