Logo

1994 DT 55 hp strange bog

ItimR

So I guess I have experienced this while under power but thought it was just part of the breaks with an older engine. What I notice under power was when trimming the engine fully before going to full throttle there would be a slight delay or "hiccup" and then it would throttle correctly, so no big deal seemed like it worked but maybe had a gummy carb issue or something. Well I was running it up for the season (installing new plugs, gear lube etc..) and had the water mufflers on to flush and test the unit. Ok so with the engine in the full up position it fires right up and idles great and purrs, Ok tilt the unit into the level position (power head is level) still purrs sounds great, Ok tilt it down as if going to full throttle/plane it out and immediately the unit bogs down as if to die right then and there and just kind of regains its composure on its own and runs rough until I move the unit up out of full tilt slightly.

Now mind you I have the unit in complete idle this whole time haven't touched the throttle whatsoever. What is possibly causing this the angle of the carbs alone? A float somewhere? A fuel line becoming pinched only when fully trimmed out? If someone has the sage advice on this occurence I would greatly appreciate it.

And btw this unit also suffers from the full throttle alarm and rpm shutdown and it seems to be a 50/50 deal as to when it will happen, in looking around and reading the manual my head is spinning as to what needs replacement or repair. Some guys say the float/ sensor for oil is sticking, or thermostats bad or oil pumps bad etc... I just read a post before joining the board today and it recommended an oil filter between the oil tank and the oil pump that is ok at low speeds but cannot keep up with the high flow at high speed and it was suggested this was a fix 99% of the time sound likely?

And just to throw this out there in someones longtime experience with these models are the two issues somehow possibly connected?( the shutdown will happen when unit is fully trimmed out and I'm under full throttle and on plane, again not every time 50% deal. )

Thank you in advance for any insight on these issues, Have a great day!

Back