Logo

1994 70 HP power pack issues

saugeyeman

I have replaced the power pack in my 1994 Evinrude 70 HP EL model and I get about 2 fishing trips and the power pack fails. Anyone have any idea what can be causing this?? I also changed out the stator and timer base, new plugs.

I have replaced the power pack in my 1994 Evinrude 70 HP EL model and I get about 2 fishing trips and the power pack fails. Anyone have any idea what can be causing this?? I also changed out the stator and timer base, new plugs.
Key switch,wiring harness motor,wiring harness boat

Will those cause the power pack to go bad or are you suggesting testing those?
Those COULD cause repeated pwrpack failures.look for voltage (should be none) in the black/yellow wire,key on,key off.move harnesses while testing.turn motor,tilt motor. Best done at time of failure

I unbolted the power pack from the engine block and discovered the black and yellow wire going into the blue plug had the insulation peeled back and the wire was exposed. The wire was corroded pretty bad. I cut the wires on either side of the blue plug and spliced them together with male and female connectors. I was hoping that was all I had to do but still no spark. Is the wire being exposed and corroded enough to fry the power pack or should I be looking further?

I unbolted the power pack from the engine block and discovered the black and yellow wire going into the blue plug had the insulation peeled back and the wire was exposed. The wire was corroded pretty bad. I cut the wires on either side of the blue plug and spliced them together with male and female connectors. I was hoping that was all I had to do but still no spark. Is the wire being exposed and corroded enough to fry the power pack or should I be looking further?
See post#4.....

The cable from the motor to the control box needs inspection for internal damage.----That cable should only be used to run the motor and not other things like stereo / bilge pumps.----Powerpacks are very reliable and I dare say most are unsure of how they work.----Many good ones are replaced.

For me thats about one week,how long for you? How many failures last year?

There is something wrong with the wiring and or ignition components on your motor.------Powerpacks just do not fail like you have experienced.

With the multimeter set on 20V I connected to the black and yellow wire and ground, I got a reading of .09 doing the math that's about 1.8V. I ran the tilt up and down twisted the motor unplugged all of the connectors and nothing changed. I disconnected the 6 lead plug just behind the control box and moving it around, I found if I elevate it vertical the voltage goes to zero and as soon as I point it towards the ground I get anything from .01 to .06. and if I plug it back in it goes back to .09. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

With the multimeter set on 20V I connected to the black and yellow wire and ground, I got a reading of .09 doing the math that's about 1.8V. I ran the tilt up and down twisted the motor unplugged all of the connectors and nothing changed. I disconnected the 6 lead plug just behind the control box and moving it around, I found if I elevate it vertical the voltage goes to zero and as soon as I point it towards the ground I get anything from .01 to .06. and if I plug it back in it goes back to .09. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Where is the voltmeter attached?are thease readings key on or key off?

I removed the 6 pin plug (photo attached) that appeared to have a short and I replaced it with 6 individual connectors. Now the is zero voltage with the key off and about a halve a volt with the key on. Is that normal or do I still have issues??

ignition plug.jpg

Back