Logo

1994 48 SPL - No spark

badbill

I have a 1994 48 SPL that I bought a few weeks ago. It has been sitting for 7 years and I fogged the cylinders, new plugs, cleaned the carbs, the fuel system and put a new water pump in it. After all that it cranked and ran great in the yard on muffs. Took it to the lake it ran like a dream for about a mile and it died. Had to get pulled back to the dock. So now I know the fuel system is what it should be I have started the investigation into the other side, ignition. I have done the following:

• Compression check: Both cylinders have 115 lbs of compression (thank the lord)
  • Removed the plugs and put new plugs in and checked the spark on each. The Upper cylinder does not have spark, lower cylinder has spark
  • Checked the coil pack (both coils read 270 ohm) so they are good it seems
  • Reversed the coil triggers from the CDI module and the spark follows the trigger (so now the upper cylinder is sparking and the lower is not)

I suspect the CDI module is bad but what can I do with a ohm meter to check it and other items in the circuit? Could it be a flywheel issue or trigger, if so how to check those?

Like I said it worked great on the water after about 30 minutes of running and then it died. I could crank it on the water and it would run “bogging” down but would die, now it will not even try to crank or pop. But the fuel is in the cylinder because the plugs are wet.

Thanks for the help!

Back