Logo

1994 30hp won’t stay running

Silver Wings

J30eerm
I’ve had this outboard for 20 plus years and it’s been bulletproof until now.
It’s struggling to start and will run for about 15 seconds and die.
Putting it in gear it dies as soon as I advance the throttle.
Fuel is good.
A shot of starter fluid or fuel will not keep it trying to run.
Spark appears to be good but I’m not positive that it’s strong/within specs.
Any suggestions on how to proceed with diagnosing the problem?
Thanks for any help.

Does manual fuel pump go hard?----Does spark jump a gap of 3/8" on both leads.----Use a test device for the spark test.----And post the actual values of a compression test.----You have installed 2 water pump impellers over those 20 years I hope.

Does manual fuel pump go hard?----Does spark jump a gap of 3/8" on both leads.----Use a test device for the spark test.----And post the actual values of a compression test.----You have installed 2 water pump impellers over those 20 years I hope.
Manual fuel pump does go hard.
Will have to get test device for spark and check gap jump.
Will check compression but this issue just materialized overnight.
I’ve installed 3 or 4 impellers…never over heated it.

I was able to do a compression test…100 psi in both cylinders. Spark jumped 1/2” both leads.
Could this be a timing issue?

Electric start ?---Operation of electric primer valve checked?-----Battery load tested ?-----Reed valves checked ?-----Checked flywheel key ?----Water in the fuel?----Some simple things for you to do.-----Do you push the key in while cranking it over?

Electric start ?---Operation of electric primer valve checked?-----Battery load tested ?-----Reed valves checked ?-----Checked flywheel key ?----Water in the fuel?----Some simple things for you to do.-----Do you push the key in while cranking it over?

It is electric start.
Battery not load tested, but charged and it spins the motor fast.
Fuel was replaced with fresh. Tank and pick up tube/filter inspected.
Reed valves not checked
Flywheel key not checked
Haven’t attempted to keep it running with the manual pump.
Cold start procedure has always been…lift handle, crank and push key in and out a few times. Fuel is bubbling out of the top of the primer valve now. I’ll order a new one, but could this be the problem? Possibly sucking air when it starts?

----Push the key in and hold it in till motor fires.-----Then push key in as needed if motor falters before it warms up.-----The primer is expensive!!----Just get the repair kit.----No it won't suck air at the primer valve.

----Push the key in and hold it in till motor fires.-----Then push key in as needed if motor falters before it warms up.-----The primer is expensive!!----Just get the repair kit.----No it won't suck air at the primer valve.
I’ve tried that to keep it running…no dice. I’ll order the repair kit.

Is the electric primer valve working ?------What happens when you put electric primer valve in the MANUAL OPEN position ?

Is the electric primer valve working ?------What happens when you put electric primer valve in the MANUAL OPEN position ?
I know it has 12v to it as evidenced by the fuel bubbling out the top when it’s activated. I honestly don’t understand the valve positions. Can you clarify which position is which.

To run , the red lever is in line with the valve body valve and opens when key is pushed in..-----Turn that lever 90 degrees and the valve is OPEN and stays open.-----Fuel from the primer valve goes into the air stream when motor is cranking.----This fuel bypasses metering circuit in the carburetor.

Back