Logo

1993 Johnson 30HP Longshaft Tiller-Wont run smooth over 1/4 throttle

whiteke12

Motor starts and idles perfect. When engaged into forward, the motor runs fine until I increase the throttle on the handle grip. Over around 1/4 throttle, the motor or engine starts clicking or articulating it appears every couple seconds. When I back off, its fine. Im guessing this is a prop/lower unit issue once stress gets on it? Its my first boat. Curious on thoughts.

Check the 3 top motor mounts.----There are 2 on the side and one in front.

Two on the side appear fine. I will have to look harder for the one on the front in day light. I will try to get a video tomorrow of what it is doing. It is hard to explain. Not saying its not a mount. Just was weird because I ran all day, anchored, went to leave and started acting up. Had to slowly creep back to cabin. 5-7mph.

Maybe it is overheating.----Have you installed a new water pump impeller every 5 years ?----Checked gear oil in lower unit.----Sorry ---I can not see , hear or feel your motor.

I just changed lower unit oil. Will look at water pump impeller. I just ran and motor was hot after a little bit. There is cooling water coming out when running. I will dig into the overheating thought process and look at the impeller. It did sit for a year. I will get video tomorrow.

I just changed lower unit oil. Will look at water pump impeller. I just ran and motor was hot after a little bit. There is cooling water coming out when running. I will dig into the overheating thought process and look at the impeller. It did sit for a year. I will get video tomorrow.

So its intermittent now...I was told possibly clutch dog or gear dog....shifts into drive and reverse....both still work but does this in forward.

Back