Logo

1993 Evinrude 200 tach problems and battery discharge

cool guy Mike

1993 Evinrude 200hp on a 1993 Ranger 397v. Installed new tach and it works intermittently, old tach worked intermittently. Using an ohm meter, checked 12v power wire to source, checked ground wire to grounding block and back to battery, checked gray wire back to terminal block on top of engine. No problems found. New battery and terminal connections assembled using dielectric grease. Battery 12.5 volts, Charging system puts out 13.8 volts. If power cable to engine is not disconnected at the battery, the battery will go dead with a draw of about 1 to 2 tenths of a volt per day. I installed a master disconnect switch for the boat and battery. By the process of elimination have found the draw to be from the wire that goes from the solenoid on the engine to the top of the motor. Is this telling me that the regulator or stator is bad ?? Magnets in the flywheel? The regulator is the water cooled unit style in the top of the block. This is driving me crazy dont want to just change parts, if it is just a loose wire or connection. But the motor is almost 30 years old and dont want to catch it on fire either if the regulator and stator needs replaced. The motor runs great, starts easy,no miss or sputter, pushes the boat 60 mph. New to boating, raced cars for 40 years ( time to relax and recently retired ), but I Need help from the wise and all knowing. Thanks to all with ideas... Mike

Rect/regulator bad...it is water cooler and needs impeller replaced every 2 years no matter how good it pees. This is #1 cause of failure for these on V-6 motors

Thanks great information. I learn something every day, would have never thought of the water pump replacement to keep the regulator cool, but makes sense.
I will get one ordered. Thanks again Mike

You were correct, I replaced the rectifier a couple of weeks back and the tach problem is gone, and charges 13.9 volts. There is no identification tag on the motor so turns out it is not a 1993, but a 1992. Their was a pigtail connection change on the 1993 motor where the 92 used terminal wire connection. Was surprised by how big a void in the V of the cylinders for water to cool the engine. Replaced water pump also.. Thanks for the help Mike

Back