Logo

1993 Crownline 250CR and saying hi to Guy

Skip Evans

Hey everyone,

I went to look at a this boat to possibly purchase it. The price would have been 6,750.00. The boat itself had 400 plus hours. The seller put in a new 454 engine in it. New risers, manifolds, fresh water cooling system, bellows, etc.. It started right up, and shifted perfectly on the muffs. Bravo1 out drive. New engine has 8 hours. Trailer is a 2006 that looks like new. I can get a sea trial from the seller too.

I ran because of rotted out plywood between the Aft cabin and engine compartment. Does anyone know the construction of this boat?

Would the integrity of the stringers, hull be in question?

was it sunk? no real way to tell without drilling 1/8 inch holes to check for wet wood.Are there any screw holes, hatches, etc in the floor ?These will lead to rot because the factory never sealed the holes.
Do a sounding on the transom. Check for hollow sounds vs solid wood sound with a small hammer

Thanks Bt Doctur. I am not sure if I am replying correctly. It is in the window that you responded to.
If it did sink, it was years ago. I opened up every hatch that I saw. It was all clean. The interior of the cabin is very nice with the exception of some of the vinyl on the walls loose. The cushions look like they are probably original, and they look like new. The laminate on the cabinet containing the stove, fridge, microwave have 2 cracks, but no rot. There are 2 portholes above the wood that I am referencing. The hull and transom seemed solid. I did tap on the transom. In my opinion, it would take years for that board to rot. Am I wrong? I am looking for reassurance that I made the right choice to walk away from what I thought was a great deal.
was it sunk? no real way to tell without drilling 1/8 inch holes to check for wet wood.Are there any screw holes, hatches, etc in the floor ?These will lead to rot because the factory never sealed the holes.
Do a sounding on the transom. Check for hollow sounds vs solid wood sound with a small hammer

Good to hear from you Skip. The Bt Dr is right about checking for rot by drilling holes. Probing the stringers, transom and floor w/a sharp awl is another good method to find rot. Sounding the transom/hull is another...knock, knock, knock then a big thud is a dead give-away. Probing around thru bolts is also good to do since that is where moisture is going to penetrate first. There is nothing wrong for running from a 20 years old boat w/rot. The $6,750.00 was probably what he had paid for the new parts. Too many newer boats in the market so keep looking. If the owner of the boat you want to buy won't pay half of a professional survey that includes a sea trial then keep on looking. Make sure you check on the surveyor's references and try to be there when the boat is surveyed...ask as many questions as you can think up. Good luck in your search.

Hey Guy,

Thanks for the reply. I am passing on this boat, and sticking with mine for now. My Wife said that I can put 1000.00 into the old boat as a consultation prize. I do have one more question about my existing boat. I did not take it out this year. I pumped out all of the gas a week ago, and burned it up in several vehicles. Can I leave the tank empty until next Spring, or do I need to fill it up?

Some owners store it every year that way. It won't hurt it one bit. Just add a stabilizer before the next fillup to disperse any residual moisture.

Hey Guy,

Thanks for the reply. I am passing on this boat, and sticking with mine for now. My Wife said that I can put 1000.00 into the old boat as a consultation prize. I do have one more question about my existing boat. I did not take it out this year. I pumped out all of the gas a week ago, and burned it up in several vehicles. Can I leave the tank empty until next Spring, or do I need to fill it up?
The best way to store it.

Back