Logo

1992 Sea ray Pachanga Hull repair. What is going on?

Ok so I know I probably made a huge mistake, I'm not very familiar with bigger boats and how they are made, I have mostly run aluminum boats or full fibreglass likely done In a mold boats like my 16ft runabout. I have always wanted a more "performance/cigar" Boat but I have been shopping actually more for a practical bow rider untill I came across this gem... I am pretty mechanically enclined so I know mostly what to look for in the engine side of the boat and I have run many outboards so I know usual things to look for on the ohtdrive... That stuff didn't worry me so much... I ended up buying the boat knowing about this damage but I figured since I do my own fibreglass work it would be a huge deal but I know with boats it can be more than it looks.... How exactly are the hulls of these boats made? I thought they were fibreglass? There is this cracking and flaking and shotty looking repair done to the boat, and it seems like wood under there? with the tip of my knife I can stick it in slightly so I know the surface of the wood is slightly soft but doesn't seem fully rotten... The motor bay and rhe motor itself still look and feel solid, I tried yanking on the motor ashamed as I could with a buddy and we couldn't get it to rock like the hull was spunky or anything. Is this just something somebody likely scraped across some rocks then painted over instead of re fibreglassing? What is it exactly I'm chipping off? Can I just finish chipping it off and cover the whole thing with fibreglass and be done? (Obvious with proper steps sanding the areas I'll be fibreglassing too etc) I know this could be a whole costly thing but I'm hoping not. I also do my own work so that will help, just hope I don't have to tear apart half the boat... Not sure how I would do that on the trailer...20230623_144115.jpg

That don't look good....in the first pic, the brighter white looks brushed on...I'd be inclined to remove that to see how extensive the hack job is...

I cant speak to your hull but have worked on some older sea rays...and they were the normal glass on the outer half of the hull - no fillers...inside the hull is a different story...

I'd be inclined to make sure the hull is salvageable before doing anything with the outdrive...

Back