Logo

1992 Mercury 60HP 2stroke Constant Alarm

capperja

Good Evening All,

New to forum but have been reading through several posts and have already learned a lot. I bought a used 1992 Mercury 3 cyl 60hp 2 stroke Outboard with a Jet on it last summer. Completed my bass tracker restoration and mounted the outboard, took it for a spin the other day and am getting a continuous alarm as soon as I turn the key to the halfway position.The alarm remains on even if the outboard is not running and regardless of temp.

I read through some posts with regard to the magnet on the float in the oil tank. I unplugged the two blue bullet connectors one at a time and neither stopped the alarm so I'm ruling out the oil tank for now.

Today, I unplugged a butt connector that had one tan wire coming into it and two tan with blue stripe wires coming out of this and that made the alarm stop. The tan wire comes from a little black box next to the oil/fuel pump. I traced one tan and blue striped wire going back to the female end of the plug that goes to the remote box and one that appears to go underneath of the outboard and to the cylinder head. Would this feed a temp sensor or thermostat?

Additionally, I've got an extra set of wires that plug into the remote box. I'm not running a trim gauge, tachometer, speedometer, etc. so I'm assuming I can go about not using it.

Any and all help is appreciated, thank you.
I've attached some pictures for reference.

Pics.

Attachments

• IMG_7958 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_7958 Medium.jpeg
    102.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7957 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_7957 Medium.jpeg
    62.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7956 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_7956 Medium.jpeg
    54 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7950 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_7950 Medium.jpeg
    64.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7946 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_7946 Medium.jpeg
    92.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7945 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_7945 Medium.jpeg
    98.7 KB · Views: 1
I too have a 1992 Mercury 3 cyl 60hp 2 stroke Outboard. I was out last summer and it made the same continuous beeping. I believe the part number is 787992 Mercury.
No less than 2 hours ago I fired mine up to get it ready and its not peeing water so trying to find the right water pump kit has poised a challenge.

Back