Logo

1992 mercruiser 3.0 engine dies when idling after running fine

jd7

Hi all,
I have a 1992 searay 180 sport sterndrive with a 3.0. The issue is that after running it for a while if i am at a lower rpm it will start to sputter and want to die so i have to give it more gas to keep it from dying. After a couple of minutes of this i will go back to idling normal and be okay. i have recently rebuilt the carburetor and replaced the float as well as set the float drop and level to spec. last year i set the base timing to spec as well. i have had issues with some of the accelerator pumps that come in the kits because when i try to do a hard take off it will hesitate and die if i dont decrease the throttle and then throttle up again. iv replaced the spark plugs last year and the fuel filters are clear. i increased the idle speed to see if that would help but it didnt and i did put a vacuum gauge on and adjusted the fuel mixture to get it in the green. But issue is still happening and i just cant figure out why it will act up then go back to normal after a short time. The engine seems to run fine at high speed (so i think so)
thank you for any and all help

Back