Logo

1992 Johnson 40 VRO disconnect problem

Mulv80

I disconnected the VRO on my 1992 Johnson 40. I capped the oil line intake into the motor and disconnected the remote oil tank sensor wires. When I remove the VRO harness plug the ignition key no longer turns the motor off. I also get a shock at the key with the VRO harness unplugged. When the harness is plugged in everything works as it should but I get the intermitent no oil alarm.

The VRO plug has nothing to do with the ignition circuit.

Check the wiring "Directly" at the back of that VRO pump and follow it to its connector. It sounds like you're disconnecting the wrong connector.

Wonder what happened to your VRO that it failed? Or did it? The breather in oil reservoir cap is poorly engineered. This will inject oil when motor is at rest, especially out in the sun. I have corrected this problem by removing the tiny spring and breather check. Cost is about 2 minutes time. Make sure your fuel contains no ethanol. If the gas station does not have a "dedicated" hose for non oxy, then either look for a pump that had the last purchase as non oxy, or pump a gallon first into your vehicle, or a safe container.

Back