Logo

1991 OMC Cobra 5.0 HO

jerryparker73

i have a four winns with the ford OMC Cobra 5.0 HO I have a few questions

1. noticed alot of grit and particulates in the gas and has to come from gas tank. I have changed the water fuel filer with a new one anyway to clean the tank out efficiently?

2. the engine runs smooth and have adjusted the carburator so it will idle great.... the main problem is after a few minutes of running full blast the engine will cut off acting like it dont get enough gas but yet smells like it has too much (yes i have blower going to suck any fumes out) but at medium throttle boat will operate fine with a tad bit of sputter from time to time... i assume its from the crap from the tank and hope that could fix the problem... or another friend said the injectors may need to be replaced...
I wont be taking it out till i get it at 100%

any ideas ... comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Jerry Parker

Call your local marina and ask where you can have your fuel tank cleaned and flushed. There are professionals who do this and they have to meet all kinds of cleanliness restrictions and fuel disposal regulations. Pay them. It's what you must do.
I think once you have the fuel system cleaned a lot of your fuel starvation problems will go away. I must ask how old the fuel line hoses are? If more than say 5 years then they may be falling apart on the inside from ethanol in the gas. Replace those too with Shields Flex-acol.

Back