Logo

1991 mercury 100hp loses spark

r.j.turpin

Hello I am new to both this forum and boating in general. I have a boat with a 1991 mercury 100 it is a 2 stroke oil injected 4cyl. I bought it last year it was running fine for several trips out on the water. I took it out four or five times with no problems . On the last trip I was coming back in and the motor cut out I was unable to restart the motor, no spark. Was close enough to shore to row back . I put the boat away for winter. This year I was getting ready for boating so I started to get the motor running found a broken wire going to the cdi fixed it and was able to get the motor started but was not getting water to the telltale. I put in a new impeller and it fixed that problem. Thinking I was good I took the boat out in the puget sound at the local boat launch. I was able to start the motor and it was idling fine after warming up a little so I headed out at first the motor was having issues with not getting past a certain rpm but then it opened up. I think the carbs may have been a little gunked up from sitting all winter. The boat got up on plane and was going good but then all of sudden the motor cut out. And would not start again ... No spark . After a bit of trying I stopped to give the starter a rest. After a bit I tried again and it eventually started up. I thought I better head straight back to the boat launch so I did only mad it a couple of minutes at full speed and then the motor just cut out again . This time no matter what I tried and after waiting I got no spark and would not start. Had to be towed back to a different closer boat launch . Next day I went with truck and trailer to get my boat and out of curiosity try and start the motor and it fired right up ????? Any ideas
P.s sorry for the long story just wanted to give all the details.

Back