Logo

1991 Johnson 50hp two stroke outboard / not running correctly

itooktheshot

Hi all. I am new here and happy to see so many people helping each other.

I have looked through the forum to see if similar questions had been answered already but since I didn't find anything I'm going to describe my problem and hope that someone will be able to point me into the right direction.

I just bought a boat with an outboard motor that seems to be having some problems.

It is a 1991 Johnson 50hp Outboard motor with electric start.

It starts well every time.
What it doesn't do is running smoothly.

It bogs quite a bit and - which for now seems to be the main problem - doesn't bring any power.

Even in full throttle it doesn't go above 1200 rpm.

I am wondering how to best troubleshoot this to find the flaw(s).

I have tried to rule out a few things already. I have cleaned both carburetors they were not really dirty. I also have confirmed that both spark plugs are working.

What I noticed was that the spark plugs weren't dry so it seems like the engine is getting too much fuel or isn't burning enough of it. At least in my non-professional opinion. Seems the bits like the engine is drowning when I manually go to Full Throttle by touching the levers on the carburetors.

Would you say that all of this could likely be caused by a faulty electric system or component?

The only visible defects I noticed were a primer solenoid valve that is cracked and needs to be replaced (the red one). And also one of the rubber drums within the throttle system has lost the rubber.

I'd be extremely happy and thankful for all the help I can find.

If someone has a manual or service manual for my engine in digital format, that would also be awesome.

If it helps to determine what the issue is I could upload a short video of the engine and how it is running or photos.

Check flywheel key.----Does spark jump a gap of 3/8" or more on a test device, yes or no ?----Are carburetor high speed jets ( orifice plug ) confirmed clean.-------Reed valves checked ?----Mixing fuel at 50:1 or is VRO in service and tested.-----Or is there a simple pump mounted on the side of the block.-----Does it have the powerpack under the flywheel or has it been converted ?-----Does the manual fuel pump go hard , yes or no ?

Check flywheel key.
Will do.

Does spark jump a gap of 3/8" or more on a test device, yes or no ?
No clue, will have to check.

Are carburetor high speed jets ( orifice plug ) confirmed clean.
I cleaned everything thoroughly, yes.

Reed valves checked ?
Will do.

Mixing fuel at 50:1
Yes.

Does it have the powerpack under the flywheel or has it been converted ?
Powerpack under the flywheel.

Does the manual fuel pump go hard , yes or no
Yes, fuel pump goes hard.

@racerone, appreciate all your hints you've given so far and will look into these in hope of finding the culprit at some point. Thanks a ton.

Back