Logo

1991 Johnson 48SPL. Questions about my screw-on thermostat cap. Yeah... the usual issue, but I...

OldPete

... have some other questions.

Ok! So I'm on the road to a hopeful recovery regarding a very broken and stuck plastic screw-on t-stat cap. Here's where I'm at. I'm looking for some feedback as to where I plan to head from here.

The cap was the old style (with on the 13/16 and not the larger one). I believe the thing was never replaced by all the previous owners. Anyway... in the process of replacing it things went from bad to worse and I used a torch to get remove the cap. Piece-by-piece. I am now at the point where I have everything out (spring, seal, o-ring, old t-stat). Everything is reasonably clean, however the threads - although defined, are definitely NOT clean enough to seat the new plug. Not a chance. However, the heat will no longer get the remaining plastic out and I don't want to damage the thread. (I did a soft brass brush with some heat... I have not try any solvents.

So... my thought is if I can find the proper tap, I could clean the threads... What are your thoughts? Is there a solvent that could eat it up? Or is the tap a better idea? If tap -- what size is the thread on the cap? I have the cap coming... and plan to measure... but I know others have been down this road.

Thanks,
Pete

Back