Logo

1991 evinrude 48 spl

GageKirsch

Had this motor for about a year now and haven’t had too many issues with it, ran the river about a month ago with no issues, then the next day fire it up and throw it into gear and it died. Took it home and ran it in a barrel, died again. I had an extra power pack and threw it in, it ran better but a new issue came up. Launched the boat and got up on plane with no issues, then it bogged down to about 1/4 throttle. Then all the sudden jumped back up to WOT. Then back down to 1/4. The coil pack had blown so I threw a new one in and got it running good again.. for about 3 mins then the same problem. Back down to 1/4. Burned through that coil also. The motor has new plugs, plug wires, power pack, and coil pack. The stator and charge coil have not been replaced. I’m not super familiar with outboard electronics so I don’t wanna spend a load of $$$ on stuff that I might not need. And I’m out of forums to read through about this issue lol. Anything at this point helps! Thank you!

separate black/yellow kill wire from pack. i assume you have the UFI (under flywheel) and not external pack correct? now connect a voltmeter to the wire and clean engine ground. now go to control box and flick the key from OFF to ON position a bunch of times. if the voltage is over 2 volts, the kill circuit is damaging the SCR switches in your power pack. also check your grounds elsewhere. test rectifier as well to make sure its not blown. also verify overheat alarm works and motor is not over 160f at idle and under 120f at high speed.

ones under the flywheel as stated and is one unit with the sensor coil. other is outside starboard side. you said you replaced it so did you take the flywheel off or not?

separate black/yellow kill wire from pack. i assume you have the UFI (under flywheel) and not external pack correct? now connect a voltmeter to the wire and clean engine ground. now go to control box and flick the key from OFF to ON position a bunch of times. if the voltage is over 2 volts, the kill circuit is damaging the SCR switches in your power pack. also check your grounds elsewhere. test rectifier as well to make sure its not blown. also verify overheat alarm works and motor is not over 160f at idle and under 120f at high speed.
I can’t get it to read over .2 volts, clicking the key on and off with a full charged battery. With the black and yellow stripe “kill wire” and then to a ground

thats good! just needed to check. are you using cheap chinese power packs? i always try to fiend OEM NOS ones, or sierra. 3rd choice would be CDI.

thats good! just needed to check. are you using cheap chinese power packs? i always try to fiend OEM NOS ones, or sierra. 3rd choice would be CDI.
Everything I have purchased so far has been evinrude Johnson just because I’ve heard of stories about the cheap stuff being bad out the package more times than not.

Back